Register an account!
This forum is accepting new users again. Why not sign up?! Tons more sections will open up to you.
Top posting users this week
Nggangsterpimp

DoctorGordon

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 26 on 21st August 2013, 8:00 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Horror these days (And most movies in general)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Horror these days (And most movies in general) on 31st December 2012, 7:11 pm

ToastedToastyToast

FLAMING FAGGOT
FLAMING FAGGOT
Can't you do something new, exciting and original? I know coming up with a brand new fresh idea is almost impossible, almost every film fits a genre or subgenre, rarely is a new one created. Making a film is NOT always about doing something brand new fresh out of the blue. It doesn't work like that. A person doesn't suddenly stop and BANG a new idea pops into his head. A person looks at something and thinks about what it could be like if it was this way, that way, ideas, tweaks etc and you get something different.

You can use something that's been done before (I.e. Zombies, Slashers etc) but you have to use it in a new way. Adding some creativity to it. Personally movies these days are becoming less and less exciting, people couldn't possibly have run out of ideas because I come up with them everyday. I recently watched a slasher movie that was pronounced "Genrebusting, groundbreaking, darkly comic, uncompromising, full of scares etc" by a bunch of magazines and popular sites. The people who gave those views are obviously idiots who cant know what those words mean. It was predictable garbage, a bunch of people get slashed apart, not even the way they were killed was scary or surprising. I could have told you what was going to happen from the start.

You can use something that's been done before, so long as you do it in a new way, adding surprises and keeping things unpredictable. And by unpredictable I don't mean main characters die randomly at the end. I always expect that to happen. A storyline to me is like a branching map which could be marked up, previous scenes shows what could be about to happen, sometimes allowing several possibilities, opening up new ones, closing some you might expected. If you marked this up for a good film, say one of the classics, it would look almost like tree, twisting into a maze of different possibilities. You mark a new film up and you are likely to end up with a straight line.

Horror has become a fucking gore fetish genre, trying to use violence to compensate for lack of fresh ideas or genuine scares, surprises and shocks. I've seen constant streams of lame and disappointing movies that insult horror. How the people who make them get funded I don't know, I would be embarrassed if I was involved with any of them. Quite often the independent underdog productions struggling to get noticed are dramatically better than the big name films.

I am on the verge of just completely stopping watching new horror films altogether. I'm watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre when it comes out. looks nowhere near as good as the previous films did before I watched them (They were previously some of my favorite horror films). It had better be good or I'm fucking out, I'd rather stick to watching good old titles from the likes of George Romero than continue to be disappointed with every new release. Seriously, get your shit together.

This is not to say all modern films are shit, just a large amount of them. Unfortunately it's them I seem to keep seeing. Cabin In The Woods for example was actually pretty fucking good.

LittleLuckyLink

Admin
Admin
I agree with this in so many senses. It's like the creators of these movies know that a general population isn't too interested in having to fucking think, so they knowingly dumb their movies down to sell a ticket or two.

Movies like V/H/S and Cabin in the Woods did stand out quite a bit this year in horror though.

ToxicDevil93

I agree with pretty much all of this. Horror movies have been sucking large quanities of dick lately

FrankWest wrote:and he's like, the most dumbass in class.

FrankWest wrote:I think hiii111 is some fag who used to go here. Wait, did he ever existed?

Swab

Firm Coil (500+ Posts)
Firm Coil (500+ Posts)
I agree, but the thing is that coming up with something new can be extremely original and creative, something brand new CAN be better, adding something different to something unoriginal has been done many, many and I mean MANY times, like on South park, but yes adding originality to something unoriginal in new ways is a great way to make something different, it still won't make it 100% original.

The only problem i have with zombie movies is that there's a similar formula in many of the ones i've watched.

1. The reason why Zombies are zombies are sometimes extremely close or are different.
2. Protagonists finds a hideout (that's understandable)
3. Protagonists stays and get's killed in unpredictable or predictable ways.
4. They figure out how to escape (ok)
5. They build an extremely protected steel vechile, or they use a car and drive over zombies because it's cool, fast and protective, or they somehow use a helicopther.
6. They need to get to an island (ok), they need a boat or helicopter to get over there, never a Ferry or anything.
7. Different situations; They all die, a zombie movie is close to the end and there is one human left with one zombie and the human shoots oneself or the zombie and the movie ends with a black scene, and people have to imagine what happened, or, some few humans survive and get somewhere else and the audience has to imagine if they lived happily ever after on an island or somewhere else.

8. The end, or there's a hint there might be a sequel.

Thing is, i completely understand that many zombie movies are similar to that formula, because what else is there to do? ZOMBIES ARE EVERYWHERE!

But i just dislike how similar the formulas seem, i understand the point of zombie genres are that WHAT HAPPENS is supposed to be unpredictable, shocking and original, you are supposed to wonder, how do they get away? what do the humans do in order to escape from the zombies? what is the story? why are there so many zombies and what caused it?

But to me, it just seems too similar, i just, dislike it, i never found zombie movies that great, i never understood the appeal, i know humans likes horror movies, it gives you so many shocks and you just want the humans to live, you hope your favorite character don't die, you hope to see unpredictable deaths, originality.

But to me, making a traditional formula isn't original just because "it's a zombie genre movie", i hate traditionalism, most of the time, how about trying something weird but cool in a zombie movie?

I know, most of you think that following a traditional formula while adding different things to it can be original, it can, but it won't ever be 100% original, otherwise you wouldn't have to follow something, or make some similar, unpredictable death or joke, it can still be cool though.

So i don't hate similar things, it is impossible to not make something similar with any genre, animation, film, story.

ToastedToastyToast

FLAMING FAGGOT
FLAMING FAGGOT
The trouble is, when you throw something new into a zombie movie, it turns it into something it's not, like throwing something new into well... Most genres. There's always those who mix, mash, mutate and that's part of coming up with new films and genres. But the bottom line is most horror sub-genres are born like sharks, they're almost perfect to begin with and don't tend to have much room for conceptual improvement.

Psycho Jester

Solid Gold (3000+ Posts)
Solid Gold (3000+ Posts)
The thing is there are still good films being created, mainstream or not. They're just shrouded by the millions of shitty ones being created which is a shame.
But I've not given up hope on Horror movies and especially not movies in general as good ones can and still do exist.

ToastedToastyToast

FLAMING FAGGOT
FLAMING FAGGOT
I feel the same way. It's just getting at them good films thats hard. you would have thought you could trust those people who earn shitfucktons of cash for telling you what movies rock and what movies suck, but apparently you can't.

Quite often I look at a film now and just think, fuck it. I can't be assed to watch this, there's better things to do.

LittleLuckyLink

Admin
Admin
ToastedToastyToast wrote:I feel the same way. It's just getting at them good films thats hard. you would have thought you could trust those people who earn shitfucktons of cash for telling you what movies rock and what movies suck, but apparently you can't.

Quite often I look at a film now and just think, fuck it. I can't be assed to watch this, there's better things to do.

Pretty much this.

Then again sometimes I regret not watching certain movies. I am content with my current movie collection, but there are plenty of these that wouldn't be here if it weren't for me taking the time to watch them in the first place.

Then again what I'm saying is a bit different seeing as many of the movies I own are older movies.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum