Register an account!
This forum is accepting new users again. Why not sign up?! Tons more sections will open up to you.
Top posting users this week
Nggangsterpimp

DoctorGordon

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 26 on 21st August 2013, 8:00 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Purge

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The Purge on 7th July 2013, 6:01 pm

ToastedToastyToast

FLAMING FAGGOT
FLAMING FAGGOT
I'm about to watch this, looks good. Basic concept (Which is very smart by the way) is that one day per year for exactly 12 hours all crime becomes legal. You can do whatever you want with absolutely zero consequence whatsoever, so people lock themselves in or they go out and rape, torture, murder etc each other. "The Purge" which is what they call the day in which shit goes down, was introduced as an outlet for everybody on that one day, for violence, rage .etc and so crime outside of that day was pretty much abolished.

That's all I know, I'm watching then reviewing it here.

2 Re: The Purge on 7th July 2013, 6:09 pm

Psycho Jester

Solid Gold (3000+ Posts)
Solid Gold (3000+ Posts)
I've been wanting to see that. Be sure to give us some neat feedback yo.

3 Re: The Purge on 7th July 2013, 6:14 pm

ToastedToastyToast

FLAMING FAGGOT
FLAMING FAGGOT
Psycho Jester wrote:I've been wanting to see that. Be sure to give us some neat feedback yo.

Will do man Smile

4 Re: The Purge on 8th July 2013, 3:13 pm

Liam

Healthy Brown (300+ Posts)
Healthy Brown (300+ Posts)
Psycho Jester wrote:I've been wanting to see that. Be sure to give us some neat feedback yo.

I second this, heard it's disappointing but I'd prefer to hear your opinion of it than some faggot from school

5 Re: The Purge on 8th July 2013, 8:30 pm

Delta

Bullshit Veteran (1000+)
Bullshit Veteran (1000+)
i've already heard about it, and apparently it just falls flat on its face: a great premise/concept that they really could've done very well with, but turned it more or less into a slasher flick

6 Re: The Purge on 8th July 2013, 11:30 pm

LittleLuckyLink

Admin
Admin
I saw this but forgot to make a post about it wtf,,

Anyway, I kinda liked it. But it did definitely have the potential to go in great places just as Delta said above. Great premise/concept but eh.. The movie created a very interesting world but didn't really go in too many directions, and the directions it did go in seemed as if they weren't emphasized very much at all. hgjdf

7 Re: The Purge on 26th July 2013, 2:46 pm

ToastedToastyToast

FLAMING FAGGOT
FLAMING FAGGOT
I forgot to review this. I kinda liked it in a way, but for what it could have been it sucked. It kind of goes back to the remake of "The Crazies" it wasn't a bad film as such, as everything the film had to offer was pretty cool, it was just predictable on a mocking scale. Unlike the crazies though, this film was also riddled with plot holes and inconsistencies, had no build up for the characters and left you with absolutely no emotional connection or sentiment for them, didn't explain many things, was full of mistakes, problems and countless other things I'm probably missing. SPOILER A-FUCKING-LERT.

The world, though the logic of the purge makes no sense, seeing as it claims that the murder and psychotic activities is beneficial to peoples psychological state, when it no doubt makes it worse by allowing peoples psychotic side to run free and also insights traumatic experiences for everyone likely to lead to further issues in the world. It claims to be good for the economy, yet people trashing and burning everything in sight probably costs a shitload more than the crime that otherwise would be happening does. I also doubt that everybody stops and goes back dandy afterwards.

Asides from the fact that it defies all basic logic (I personally watched the trailer and drew from it a much different conclusion for the reason the purge happens, which is briefly referenced but proves completely insignificant in the film). I think the main problems from the start is the lack of character build up, everything is force fed to us in the first few minutes of the film, it's rushed and very forced and the characters are generic and 1 dimensional, they never do anything to make us relate to them and ultimately when they are in danger I just didn't give a shit. Also they chose to base the film in a place where virtually none of the fucking action happens, wouldn't it have been nice if you got to see say a family who had to defend themselves in the poorer parts of the cities, by barricading themselves in and arming themselves and fighting off intruders but end up getting dragged into the carnage? Instead we're stuck in a suburban town, with such high security that nobody usually bothers to attack it.

Secondly with all that futuristic security, it really isn't that futuristic or secure. Two of the reasons he gave for why it protects people is because it looks good (Therefor people will be deterred because they think it's impossible to break into) and because there isn't usually attacks in parts of the country where people can actually afford it. Asides from that, even security systems we had 10-20 years ago were better, prime example is the security in the film Panic Room, which is actually relatively low tech by general standards. If you created a state of the art security system in real life, which could be broken into using standard everyday tools, a battering ram, low grade explosives or a couple of cars and chains, then you would be fired.

Not only that but this employee of the year, best neighbor ever and spectacular father figure, knows the blatant flaws of his flimsy security systems but still uses it as the sole protection for his family and friends as well as selling them to people all over the world. Great job asshole. He also has enough money to buy a boat and add an extension to his house, but cannot install any decent secuirty or a panic room or a decent escape plan, also note, you cannot open a security door alone, when you open one security door all of the fucking doors open leaving you completely exposed, but again. Nice design!

Speaking of which, I was just on my edge of the seat waiting for something extremely cool to come along and tear the fucking place up. They kept talking about there ominous equipment that was on there way, what could it be? Special saws, plasma cutters, jackhammers, explosives, bulldozers, demolition equipment anything cool? No, it's just a bunch of small and unimpressive trucks with chains, that somehow manage to tear off every single sliding metal shutter on the house with very little noise and without damaging any of the windows or walls or the house itself. In fact you don't even get a good look at it happening.

Back on to the characters, one is a sluttish catatonic teenager banging some old guy who his parents disapprove of (Think Twilight), the other is a girlish emo nerd who keeps a diary, writes lame poetry and stories for school about love and loss and even though he's probably should be used to the purge, having grown up with it, the purge bothers him to no end which causes him to let a complete stranger into the house because he says that heavily armed people are after him and promises not to hurt anyone, what a fantastic idea huh? I'm sorry but there was a million better ways of handling that situation. The mother... Well she's just an average soccer mom, she is so generic she needs no personality given to her, when she's not cowering helplessly or comforting her children, she is getting captured and almost killed by the baddies. Such a deep character eh?

So the black guy who turns up, skipping the incredibly cool sounding epic escape from psychotic overly polite upper class people who don't look, talk or act rich except for there leader who talks like he's from a watered down Shakespearean play. He is given no background and isn't even given a name, sometimes not giving a person a name adds mystery to them such as the main character from Fight Club, but it only works if you work well on there story line, making them deep and mysterious. He doesn't really get any screen time and is usually hiding, but when he isn't doing that, he is putting guns to helpless teenage girls heads as a method of trying to get there fathers to trust him... Ok, that works I suppose.

I forget to mention that the kid has a lazily constructed robot consisting of a creepy melted doll stuck to a busted up remote control toy car, with useless features such as lights (Despite it clearly having night vision) and being able to play music whilst he goes along. The kid also talks about his little toy as if it were a person, seriously he's a pretty massive faggot. In fact he strongly resembles 7IsUnlucky only with darker hair. No I'm not fucking kidding.

KILL ME.

On a related note I've seen 7IsUnlcuky's new hairstyle and it's actually pretty cool especially compared to how he used to look. This robot is clearly on regular fixed position wheels however it is never explained how it get's up and down stair cases. The music really only suits the purpose of a distraction at the end of the movie, which was not even necessary. Fuck the robot.

It skips all of the character build up which should have been added, such as the history of the purge, they bring up at dinner time that the children are taught the history of the purge every year, I can picture a ton of really cool scenarios in which they show this lesson at school, showing the troubled look of 7IsUnlucky in the background, therefor giving an actual reason for his concerns over the purge. When establishing that the father sells all of the latest purge security equipment, they do it via a minute long phone call, and less than 3 minutes where the pointless plot point is brought up among the neighbors, who with no character establishment or build up and a few seconds of screen time a piece, come back as main antagonists near the end of the film.

I called everything before it happened because there was absolutely nothing subtle about it, the death of her boyfriend, the hiding of the dude (since it was in the trailer) and BLACK MAN TO THE RESCUE! At the end, every time a character get's into danger someone saves them at the last minute.

Also after shooting the black guy, hitting him in the head with a fragile looking vase that miraculously doesn't break, duct taping him up, stabbing him and sticking him to a chair, they decide what they're doing is wrong. Really, at what point did you realize this? In that same sense, they didn't have to put him in the chair they could have just tossed him outside after he was knocked out or whilst he was taped up, also given the circumstances kill one aging, homeless and badly injured man to save a woman, two kids and a healthy father seems a pretty fair trade.

But in reverse psychology land, the homeless guy decides he wants to sacrifice himself and at the same time the father decides not to send him out and to make a stand against the assholes attacking the house, but fails to let the black homeless guy loose so he can either help or defend himself, instead leaving him duct taped to a chair. Clever!

Leading to quite possibly one of the abolutely most predictable climaxes where when watching this film, we literally were discussing how obvious unnamed black man will come back to save the day several times before hand, even before the attackers got in. I remember just saying out loud "Hey, you know what? I haven't seen the black guy in a while." and 5 seconds later we see the unpredictable twist (wait for it) the black man comes back to save the day! WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH??!?!?!

Now don't get me wrong, this film was good in a lot of ways. The acting was great, it's just that the script and the storyline restricted it a lot. The bad guys were insanely creepy and those masks are just fucking awesome! There was some pretty good and realistic action, though there are a few slip ups in it, the weapons that the film chose to use were good looking, lesser used and stylish, they were quite refreshing compared to the weapons you normally get in films. The blood effects were also good, in most films there is always either too much of it or too little and in most modern films the blood is too dark and not runny enough, this film had none of those flaws.

The concept was strikingly original and extremely cool, there are a million different ways it could have went to provide us with an awesome film and much better ways of explaining the existence of the purge, except for a few minutes of irrelevant radio and TV footage. There is a million stories I would like to see in the Purge world, but this one was just bland, boring, dull and unoriginal (Except for the core concept). I want to see this go further, i really do, the writing for this film was pretty abysmal. It seems cool at first, but with the thoughtlessly poor execution of this film, all of the good sides are dragged down by the bad sides and I found with inconsistant films, I end up noticing so many downsides that they couldn't keep me entertained that long. This was never as painfully obvious as in this film.

It had it's moments, but not many. The film was ok, but that's just it. It's only OK and when the film is just OK, it's extremely disappointing. Especially after all the build up people gave for this film. That's my two cents anyway.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]